Shockwave Therapy Overview
Using energy from acoustic waves, shockwave therapy improves blood circulation by triggering a process call neovascularization, which is the formation of new blood vessels. It is used to help patients with kidney stones, heart problems, fractures, inflamed joints, and, of course, erectile dysfunction.
Ideal Candidates for Shockwave Therapy In Dubai
- Theoretically, shockwave treatment in Dubai can help all patients suffering from ED and even improve erections in men with no issues or prevent erectile dysfunction.
- However, given that it is a new treatment modality, scientific evidence is still being gathered and we only recommend the treatment to patients that suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Patients that do not respond to an intra-cavernously injection test, are Not good candidates for shockwave therapy, since this will generally mean that their erection mechanism is significantly damaged and it is unlikely that they will benefit from this treatment modality.
- A full pre-treatment diagnostic evaluation is always advised before patient proceeds with this option to establish if it is appropriate and also determine the optimum treatment protocol.
Medication or medical treatment
If you have a medical condition that is causing your dysfunction, our expert team of doctors will work with you to correct the problem. A common cause for most of the related problems is due to hormonal imbalance. Both men and women can have hormone therapy to help them restore proper sexual function. There are also drugs, like Viagra (generic name sildenafil), that can help increase blood flow to the penis. If your dysfunction is related to a medication you are taking, our expert doctors will prescribe a different medication that won’t interfere with your sexual activity.
Shockwave Therapy for Erectile Dysfunction at Bizrahmed, Dubai
Bizrahmed provides several treatment options for erectile dysfunction including the latest advanced technological solutions such as Low-intensity Shock Wave Therapy (LISWT).
LISWT is a simple, safe, painless, and anesthesia-free treatment for men with erectile dysfunction caused by poor blood flow to the penis (vasculogenic ED). Unlike on-demand solutions such as pills used for one-off encounters, LISWT focuses on improving the blood flow to the penis, to make it more likely you can get and maintain erections on your own. A clinician applies a wand-like probe to the penis that delivers mild shockwaves.
Occasional erection problems aren’t always a cause for concern, however, if the problem is an ongoing issue it can result in reduced quality of life as a result of stress, self-confidence issues, and relationship problems. Erectile dysfunction can also indicate an underlying health condition and is a potential risk factor for heart disease.
Shockwave Treatment Procedure
A clinical expert will apply a probe covered in a special gel to your penis for a 15-20-minute therapy session. The therapy is normally done without anesthesia or pain relief as, although you might experience a tingling sensation, the process is not usually painful.
Speak to your urologist about this option as it is well tolerated by most men and has shown positive results in clinical trials. Many men have reported that their erections have improved, although those with more severe ED may still need to take medication alongside the therapy.
Advantages of Shockwave Treatment in Dubai
Shockwave treatment in Dubai has the following advantages:
- Noninvasive treatment lasting 20 minutes in a treatment room – walk in and walk out within 30 minutes.
- No medication required.
- Fewer complications than other treatment modalities
- Significant clinical benefit is often seen within 6-8 weeks after treatment.
The results of our patients to date are very encouraging and, in our opinion, this treatment option completely changes the landscape of erectile dysfunction management.
Medical Effects of Shockwave Therapy
Shockwave treatment in Dubai is widely used to treat all kinds of indications from soft tissue injuries (tendinopathies) in humans and horses to diabetic foot ulcers to erectile dysfunction and even cellulite.
Shockwave treatment in Dubai initiates a pro-inflammatory response in the tissue where the shockwaves have been applied. The body responds by increasing the blood circulation and metabolism in the impact area which in turn accelerates the body’s healing processes.
In the specific case of Erectile Dysfunction, shockwave improves erections via two mechanisms:
- Promotes angiogenesis(development of new blood vessels) in the penis which means that the blood flow to the penis increases and hence stronger erections are achieved;
- Rejuvenation of penis smooth muscle– the majority of patients suffering from ED do so because the smooth muscle in their penile arteries has been damaged thus inhibiting the functioning of the so called Veno-occlusive mechanism. Shockwave therapy in Dubai has been shown to induce the body to repair the smooth muscle in the penis and thus improve the function of the Veno occlusive mechanism.
- Anyone with mild to severe Erectile Dysfunction can likely benefit from shockwave therapy. This includes the nearly 50% of men that struggle with getting or maintaining an erection.
- Shockwave treatment in Dubai may be a good option for men who
- Desire treatment to reverse the underlying cause of ED
- Are looking for a better response to the oral medicines used to treat ED
- Want a non-invasive treatment for their ED before moving on to other options.
- The typical treatment course is 6 treatments over 6 weeks, and 50-80% of patients will report an improvement in their erections 30 days after they have completed the full treatment cycle.
Effectiveness and Safety
There is a growing body of scientific evidence that shockwave treatment in Dubai for ED can help in the following ways:
- Patients with mild to moderate ED that respond well to PDE-5 inhibitors might be able to regain their natural erections and no longer need – or reduce their dependence on medication.
- Patients with moderate to severe ED that do not respond to PDE-5 medication and rely on injections or other topical treatments may become respondents to PDE-5 medication after shockwave therapy.
- Shockwave therapy will in most cases improve the outcome of any other treatment modality.
Frequently Asked Questions
Usually, the response to shockwave treatment in Dubai is good, however, it may take several months before maximum effect is achieved. If after 3-4 months the patient still does not experience a pronounced improvement, then other treatment modalities will need to be considered.
Shockwave treatment in Dubai costs will depend on the type of operation, the medical material used, and the specific circumstances of each patient. Following your consultation and if you are a candidate for surgical treatment, an all-inclusive cost will be quoted (covering medical material, hospital fees, anesthetist fees, and surgeon’s fee, and all the follow-up consultations).
Most indications require 3–5 treatments which are done 3–10 days apart, depending on the patient’s tolerance and their tissue response.
Generally, it takes about 16 weeks after your treatment to experience the full benefits of shockwave therapy.
It is recommended that patients refrain from physical activity, especially one that would involve the treated region, for about 48 hours following each treatment session.
The number of treatments varies depending on the indication and tissue response. The effect of the treatment is cumulative, so you will typically need more than one (3–5) treatment. Very often though, you will experience relief right after the first treatment.
Most patients will experience immediate pain relief following the treatment. However, within 2–4 hours after the treatment, they may experience some soreness in the treated area. This soreness has been reported as tolerable and not limiting.
Most patients with chronic pain problems have been through various unsuccessful types of treatments. Up to 80% of the same patients worldwide report that Shockwave therapy has helped them eliminate their erectile dysfunction problem.
There may be a slight feeling of discomfort during the treatment, depending on the level of pain the patient is already experiencing in the area. However, since the treatment lasts only about five minutes, most patients can tolerate this discomfort. Additionally, the intensity of the treatment can be adjusted throughout the session.
Each treatment session lasts around 20 minutes. When you arrive at the clinic, a nurse will take you to the room with the shockwave machine where you will lie on the treatment bed. The medical practitioner will then apply the treatment using a special probe on different parts of your penis and perineum. Most patients experience very little discomfort or pain during the session. It is important that if you do not feel comfortable, you let your medical practitioner know and the shockwave intensity will be adjusted accordingly.
As the method seems to have a physiologic effect on the erection mechanism, repeating the treatment after a certain period seems logical; however, the question regarding a possible saturation effect remains unanswered and requires further investigation.
The biological effects of shockwave therapy are permanent and have been established on the basic science level. However, erectile dysfunction depends on the lifestyle of patients and is usually a symptom of underlying health issues that lead to ED. Because ED usually gets worse in patients with comorbidities, this means that the improvements after the treatment might be reversed over time if the underlying conditions are not addressed.
Given that the treatment is relatively new, the longest period that patients have been followed up, after treatment in a systematic way as part of a clinical trial, was 12 months.